Monday, March 19, 2012

Ramen!!!

So, this is for all you Ramen Lovers out there.



I have been very lucky to have the best Ramen in the world (in Japan), and my USA Ramen experience has been less than satisfying.  But I happen to be very pleasantly surprised by this little whole in the wall in the heart of Hollywood.  Tucked in a little obscure corner off La Brea and Hollywood Blvd., is a little gem called "Ikemen."  They take the idea of a traditional ramen house to a new and innovative level.  They have both traditional ramen, and a more new age style, "dip ramen."  If you like garlic, try the Zebra dip ramen.  It is chalked full of flavor and of course, garlic.  But my personal favorite is the "Fireman" ramen.  It is definitely not for the weak, but if you like spicy, this is your pick.  It is overflowing with flavor that coats the pallet, and sends your taste buds a blaze.  To cool of the fire, I doused the flames by following up my ramen with a mushroom slider.  The slider is not your ordinary slider.  First off, it's not on a mini burger bun and there is not patty.  But instead you have whole mushrooms, marinated in their own secret recipe of mild seasonings, tucked away in a bedding of fresh greens, placed in a fluffly white "bow" (Asian steam bun, normally founded at Dim Sum).  Finally for dessert, I wanted something sweet, but didn't want to have an actual dessert.  Instead I ordered a "Dragonball" which is a new take on the traditional Japanese"takoyaki."  This Dragonball truly took me back to the streets of Osaka.  The only difference is that these takoyakis are deep fried, making them that much better.  And true to tradition, these Dragonballs were little dressed with a sweet sauce, and topped with real bonito flakes.  After eating an order (of 6), it left me hungering for me.  Stuffed to the brim, but being the glutton that I am, I went ahead and caved into my craving, ordering another batch and savoring every bite.  All I have to say is "yum..."

No comments:

Post a Comment